Shop the NEW Food City in Kimball!

Update on Car Hauler Fire on Wednesday; Electric Car Battery Ruptured

We have an update on a story we reported yesterday. On Wednesday at 12:42 PM the Haletown Volunteer Fire Department responded to I-24 eastbound near mile-marker 144 near the foot of Monteagle Mountain and the Martin Springs exit for a car hauler on fire. Haletown received mutual aid from Jasper Highlands, South Pittsburg Mountain, and Monteagle Fire Departments.

Firefighters struggled with the blaze due to the car on fire being an electric vehicle with a ruptured main battery. It took over 6,000 gallons of water to extinguish the burning electric vehicle. There were no injuries reported.

Photo provided by the South Pittsburg Mountain Volunteer Fire Department